Monday, July 23, 2012

before Firefox, Foxfire

I enjoy starting fires, so I forsook Firefox for Foxfire and set up my chopsaw in the chicken run next to a stack of branches.  Too thick to cut with loppers, but to small to split, we like the small firewood we make from the branches because it catches fire with very little kindling, and spreads the flames to the bigger pieces.

My project was great news for the hens, as the insects that take up residence in a woodpile are a favorite snack food.  The alpha, beta & gamma hens worked over the newly cleared ground in a flurry of scratching & pecking.  I heard a low growl and looked up in time to see a buff orpington bent low to the ground with neck feathers fanned out & wings half-spread, warning off a barred rock that had trespassed on her claim.

A noisy day in a bucolic weekend.  The woodpiles are gone, the firewood stacked higher. The hens were entertained, and their yokes may be a little more yellow from the extra protein.

I built a little fire from the short ends and started it with one match.  A good day, all in all, unless Mary is still mad at me...

Coo, coo, ca choo.

No comments:

Post a Comment